This is not your average Wii game. Not only is it a rare 18-rated title for the console, but it’s one of the most violent video games on any system.
If you’ve the stomach for it though it’s been created by some of gaming’s most talented developers, including the producer of Viewtiful Joe and Okami.
Although the level of violence is extreme it’s not in the slightest bit realistic or serious, as lead character Jack competes in an ultraviolent television show called Death Watch.
The whole game is portrayed in a black & white comic book style, with the only other colour present being the red of spilt blood.
Beyond all the controversy though lies a well-honed action game, with Jack able to use almost anything in the environment as a weapon – whether it’s tied down or not.
If you want more out of the Wii than just another mini-game collection, this could be the game for you.
Madworld GAME Features
- Family values: The most violent game ever made for the Wii, from one of the heads of the legendary Clover Studio – creators of Okami and God Hand.
- Red all over: Unique graphical style is influenced by Frank Miller’s Sin City, with the whole game portrayed solely in black, white and… red.
- Farewell to arms: Main character Jack has a chainsaw for an arm and he’s not afraid to use it, insome of the most visceral melee combat ever seen.
- (E)motion control: Context-sensitive controls are easy to learn but provide plenty of nuance as you learn to use your environment and your enemy’s tactics to your advantage.
- Black & red: Bizarre mini-games and challenges, including the gruesome “death press” and the over-the-top “man darts” – involving a baseball bat and a giant dart board.
About the Developer: Platinum Games
Founded by the key members of Capcom’s Clover Studio, Platinum Games has the most star-studded line-up of any independent Japanese developer – including the creators of Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe and Okami. Their first games include MadWorld and Bayonetta.